Monday, February 17, 2014

Last day of the Adventure

Drove a little bit south to Southmont, NC to visit Bill's mom and dad's grave.  Cold still,  but sun was shining.   Before we got to Southmont we had taken the wrong road and, in trying to get back on track, we took an exit that put us in Thomasville.  They had a pretty little downtown and we saw a HUGE chair and a really nice park right next to a lot of railroad tracks where a train went by very close to where were standing.   Thomasville was a big furniture town back in the day.

After time in Southmont we drove to the BEST EVER bakery named Maxie B's.  OMG, it was decadent.   They sell the best cake I have ever had!!!  And to prove it the line going in there never stopped.  We stayed and ate a slice of cake there so we can honestly say that the line never got short. 

Next was downtown Greensboro where we spent about 3 hours walking around.   There were many nice stores and the architecture was stunning.   The storefronts had beautiful detail from the olden days.  2 drugstores were of particular interest (see pictures).  We saw the Woolworths where the famous 1960 sit-in happened.   There is so much history here in Greensboro.

Stopped at a grocery store and got ingredients for cabbage roll casserole.   Went back to Mike's home and made a delicious dinner and then enjoyed our last night in NC  and the last day of our  cross country adventure.  It was perfect spending the end with Mike and Sarah.  

So, the journey ends.  It has been an amazingly beautiful time and it gives me a greater appreciation for our gorgeous country.  Thank you to all our faithful followers.   I have seen each day through your eyes and I helped you see it through mine.  Thank you to Mimi, Laurie, Adam,  Barbara, and Mike for sharing your homes with us.  It has been a once in a lifetime endeavor that will be remembered forever. 

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Kathy, you have shared your journey wonderfully. I will miss the anticipation of what new view, adventure, visit, moment I'll find when I sign on to Buzz and Chief Across America... it's been so good to go on this tour with you and I look forward to the next one. It was special for me to be part of it in Greensboro this weekend. With Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Lynn, you bring tears to my eyes. You have been with us through it all (as all my siblings and family have) and you completed us in the end. I will truly miss writing my adventures every night and seeing it for everyone. You all were on this journey with us. Love you. ..

    ReplyDelete